Log in

No account? Create an account

Voice Post: How I found out that I had cancer

« previous entry | next entry »
May. 19th, 2006 | 01:20 am

831K 4:45
“Hello it’s Jeremy. It’s early in the morning here and I was thinking about some other things to post. I have to admit that this is definitely sort of a weird thing for me to do – considering that this is being read by the public and it’s me just talking, instead of writing something which is the way I usually communicate on blogs and I have plenty of time to edit. So, I apologize if things don’t come out very clearly.

I thought I would start addressing some of the more common questions that people have asked me, like “How did you find out that you had cancer?” So I thought I would talk a little bit about that.

On March 31st , I was at a hospital just getting a routine MRI, thinking that I have maybe some kind of degenerative bone disease or something.

What led me to think of that was about six months ago I started having pain in my sacroiliac region, sort of my left glutes. That eventually referred to my hip flexors, my whole pelvis, my lower back and nothing was really getting better, even though I was seeing a chiropractor, and then I went to my general practitioner, and he prescribed muscle relaxers, and anti-inflammatories and physical therapy. I did physical therapy, and this is also among yoga and tai chi, and those kinds of things and nothing was really helping it.

So, I went back to my general practitioner and he suggested I see an expert on the body - a physiatrist. I went to San Francisco Spine Center and had an MRI done. That same day, the doctor got a voice report back on the MRI and said I had a torn disk, L5-S1, and so, I thought I had structural damage from something like climbing or hiking, or something like that. So, he prescribed more physical therapy and I took physical therapy some more and that didn’t really help.

Then I went to Burma, and then, I came back and I started feeling more fatigue. The Advil that I was taking wasn’t helping; the muscle relaxers weren’t really helping. I had pain that kept me up all night. I used to roll around in my bed like a rotisserie all night, unable to sleep.

So I went, and decided I was going to see an infectious disease specialist and a rheumatologist because it’s either that I’ve caught something somewhere or I have some kind of degenerative disease because this stuff just isn’t getting better.

I went and saw them and they ordered about 9 vials of blood.

On March 31st, when I was getting that second MRI done, I got a call from my doctor. He was very concerned because the blood showed that I was anemic and that landed me in the ER that night to redo all the tests and to figure out what was going on.

So it turns out that the cancer had settled into my bones and stopped blood production. So I was operating on about half the blood that I should have been operating on. But I didn’t really realize it, even though I was out of breath, and stuff like that. I just thought I was sick. So that’s what landed me in the hospital

Then, I spent another 13 days getting tests.
Which is another entry because the trauma of, you know, some very important tests was intense and it took me a while to recover from. It’s not an experience that I would want anyone else to experience. It took a lot. But that’s another blog.”

Transcribed by: jerumi

Link | Leave a comment |

Comments {2}

(no subject)

from: anonymous
date: May. 22nd, 2006 01:41 am (UTC)

I hope you enjoyed the ritual this weekend. I have your link on our homepage and we will be checking in for your updates. This blog idea is pretty cool. I was reticent before to ask for details about your condition, knowing that you must be saying the same things over and over to folks. Now I have a better understanding.

It is encouraging, from your recent email, that you hope to take part in the August doings and that you are thinking of spending some time up here more generally. Martina and I are hoping to take a vacation in the boat mid or late July for two or 2-1/2 weeks (still working with Scott on when and for how long), and the two of you are certainly welcome to stay at our place then. (Hey, it's even got broadband!) If so, I hope you can be around longer so we can spend some time with you too.

That's all for now. Will keep in touch.

-- Larry

Reply | Thread


(no subject)

from: jerumi
date: May. 24th, 2006 06:44 am (UTC)

Thanks Larry. I hope that you and Martina are enjoying your summer. Beth is still in school in July so we probably won't come during that timeframe. Let me know if you hear about anything else.

Reply | Parent | Thread